5.22.2007

Do Dah Day

For those of you who don't know, Do Dah Day is a festival to raise money for animal-based charities. It takes place in my neighborhood, the Historic Highland Park district of Southside Birmingham. Here are some pictures from this year's event last Saturday:

The Greyhound Rescue float (Egyptian themed) from the parade...such beautiful, magnificent animals!

I now patron Firehouse Subs, for their support of dog rescue and for their somehow getting an antique fire engine for the parade.

A view of Caldwell Park, one of the 3 Highland Parks, 2 of which were packed on this occasion (the third, Rushton, is too "hilly," but sits beside the only place that makes a margarita I can drink, Rojo). There were bands, vendors, and lots and lots of cute doggies. They even had a turtle rescue group. It was all I could do to not adopt a dog, and one of my neighbors did just that: a very cute, criminally emaciated, abandoned--at the festival--yellow lab mix with the temper of the most loving human imaginable (the mere semblance to whom she had probably never been exposed until Saturday). By the way, this is half a block from my apartment! I [heart] Historic Highland Park!

While I didn't adopt a dog, I did take my niece, whose momma put her in a yellow sun dress.

1 comment:

  1. Thisbe & I are sorry we missed the parade & meeting your niece - who's cute as a bug, BTW. Perhaps next year.

    ReplyDelete