5.22.2007

Questions As Comments, And Comments As Questions

Given my review of The Fountain, and our collective disdain for most Hollywood sci-fi movies (for the big and little screens), why are so few sci-fi short stories/novellas snatched up by producers. Every sci-fi convention I have attended in the past few years declares that the best short-story science fiction is being produced now, yet almost none are being translated to film.

What would our collective group recommend as far as reading short-story sci-fi? And, given the 2-hour length of movies, why aren't more considered for movies? Especially by the SciFi Channel, who might at least pay homage to their name by forgoing their latest "Gross, Mutant Rip-off Animal(s) vs. Big Titties" intellectual debauchery to produce something of basic genre merit.

Thoughts, rants, and suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I agree that there's no lack of excellent source material out there, but there is a lack of directors and writers with the chops for adapting them. Case in point: The Sound of Thunder. Arguably one of Bradbury's greatest short stories, yet I could barely even sit through the two minute trailer of the recent movie.

    I think the problem is that the best sci-fi/fantasy actually requires some education to appreciate. I've been on a Neil Gaiman kick for a few years now--American Gods was incredible, as is most of Sandman. But I doubt a good adaptation of either would actually appeal to the masses. I haven't read "Stardust", but it's probably good, and of course the upcoming movie is getting dismal reviews so far. Terry Gilliam has been talking about doing "Good Omens" for years, and he'd be the best person in the world to do it. Will he ever get funding for it? Doubt it.

    I'll stop now before my comment becomes a full blown essay. In short: it may be a lost cause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Current sci fi is GateTree's purview, so I'll leave it to him. I like the old stuff - especially any anthology edited by Groff Conklin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to add that I have several theories about the reticence of Hollywood to use great SF stories, but Thisbe HAD to go outside. We'll discuss this when you get here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phillip K. Dick seems to be one of the central acceptable writers. Maybe it is a rolling success, as one does well (at least critically) (Blade Runner) more are used. Johnny Mnemonic was so bad that Gibson may be shot. His novels are better anyway. Star Trek & Star Wars swallowed up so much of the popular interest in sci-fi, its like the short story writing is separate from the production of movies. Let me do some research.
    Gaiman's Mirrormask comes to mind - along with Children of Men - which suggests the English are ahead of us on this thing.

    ReplyDelete