5.06.2007

Guilty Pleasure

For most people their guilty pleasures are the things we have no qualms about liking best: horror movies, scifi novels, bourbon, and our various proclivities. A guilty pleasure I admit to is Groundhog Day. I love that movie, unequivocally.
I have a new guilty pleasure to add to the list for you guys, Night at the Museum. I know, it's a kids movie (PG no less), & that the hated Ben Stiller is the star and Robin Williams is the #2. It's a sappy movie about a divorced dad & his son. I know, I know. But...
History and the museum is the framework, Mickey Rooney calls Stiller 'hopscotch' & 'snackshack' & more (I have a thing for giving nicknames), Owen Wilson and the Alan Partridge-guy play a cowboy and a Roman legionnaire (from dioramas). I think the key is that Williams plays Teddy Roosevelt, one of my all-time favorite men, who tells Stiller that the key to success is self-reliance (shocking).
I discovered today that the whole thing was written by Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon, Deputy Junior and Lieutenant Dangle on Reno 911!, which makes me feel a little less guilty. I know it's out of character, and I hate to admit it, but - I really enjoyed it. Your mileage may vary.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, Poppy showed this movie at her place on Friday night, she just "borrowed" the projector from the elementary school where she is a counselor. We watched it outside against a wall, it was a really nice experience. Ben Stiller was toned down and funny. I agree with your assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched it this weekend. I found it mildly amusing, but it didn't blow my skirt up. Better than church, but not as fun as brown party liquor.

    ReplyDelete