4.29.2007

It Reminded Me That I Still Need To Buy The Collected Writings Of Thomas Paine

I watched The Queen last night. It's one of the best movies I've seen for a while, with all-around fantastic acting. And it succeeds in doing something not accomplished since The Madness of King George: it made me feel a tiny bit sorry for the British royalty. Now, don't get me wrong. Most of the movie will leave you flabbergasted and bewildered that such people could still exist in the modern world, and during most of the movie I called the royalty names that would have made Thomas Paine blush.

Of course, the best way to end their plight, as it were, is to disband the monarchy. Then NO ONE would have to be born into the trappings of royalty, which is nothing more than an ancient, repugnant system of rule.

To quote The Madness of King George, "Then why not be rid of him? If a few ramshackle colonists in America can send him packing, why can't we?"

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the life of ramshackle colonists. Love Helen Mirren & I think Thomas Paine would be horrified with us, much less the Brits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never ceases to amaze me that our Founders, for the most part, looked to Enlightenment England for the justification of the Revolution & the form of our government. I suppose "no man is a prophet in his own country" rings true here.

    ReplyDelete