9.11.2007

The "ShlEmmy's" Earn Their Name

Kathy Griffin's last season of "My Life on the D-List" won an Emmy. But the powers that be will not be airing all of her acceptance speech. Why?

In her speech, Griffin said that "a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus."

She went on to hold up her Emmy, make an off-color remark about Christ and proclaim, "This award is my god now!"

The comedian's remarks were condemned Monday by Catholic League President Bill Donohue, who called them a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech."

Fuck these people, seriously. I am slowly becoming the "militant atheist" that these ignoramuses want me to be. All she said was, "Suck it, Jesus." How is that more offensive than condemning non-believers to wrath or oblivion? My mind is blown...

How dare an award-winner mock religion and state that her award was due to her own talents! How dare her!

4 comments:

  1. Bill Donohue offends me every time I see him - his very existence is a "vulgar, in-your-face brand of hate speech", so let's ban HIM.

    As for the ShlEmmy Awards - I stopped being interested ages ago, but I'm glad Kathy Griffin won.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "ShlEmmys" term comes from Kathy Griffin's own mouth. She described them as such from her unsuccessful nomination last year (when she got into trouble for flipping off the winners). These aren't the Emmys you see on TV. They are the "lesser" categories of the Emmys that they don't award in prime time, instead relegating them to a lesser award show. Kind of like all of the technical Oscar awards.

    Still, telling Jesus to suck it is hardly hate speech. Telling children that they are eating the flesh and drinking the blood of a kinda-dead deity seems to me worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Emmys have been a joke since Eli Wallach beat Nimoy in '67, 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're wearing them down, goddamnit.

    ReplyDelete