5.07.2010

I [Heart] The 14th Amendment

Never do I want my loved ones or anybody else (including me) stripped of the guarantees of the US constitution based on the accusation of treason, terrorism, or anything else. I would just as well strip myself of them by walking down the street.

I have my rights. Any naturalized citizen has the same. Any potential mass murderer from another country has the same. The US constitution clearly distinguishes between "citizen" and "person," and here's the 14th:
nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Our predecessors didn't fight Triple George, the Confederacy, and Nazi Germany so to coward at extremists. The ideals of an independent judiciary and of a democratic republic based on individual rights should not be so capriciously discarded just because someone could bomb a popular New York intersection.

If we are better than them, let's be better than them.

No comments:

Post a Comment