8.27.2010

Religion Is Evil; And Your Shit Stinks As Bad As Theirs, So SHUT THE FUCK UP

Thank you, authoritarian Christian nationalists, for compromising our national security. We now have video for al Queda' recruiting propaganda:



When I joined the protest of "Draw a Mohammad Day," I didn't do so to bully a religious class. I did so to stand up against an assertion that religious sentiments trumped free speech (and could do so with threats of violence).

The same applies to my support of the "Ground Zero Mosque;" or, as I like to call it, the "Ground Zero YMMA." I will not accept crazy, non-realist arguments ("this slaps the 9/11 victims in the face"), nor the insistence that tolerance has a radius.

The first amendment to our Constitution is hard; it's not for the weak of mind, but it protects us from them. And I am weary of Christians throwing bibles in glass houses.

Forget about Ground Zero and use your noggin to think back to the bloodiest event in American history. Was it the Confederacy of Muslims, Atheists, and Homosexuals whose bloodthirsty hordes converged on the goodly Christian Yankee Army of the Union North at Antietam and Gettysburg?

I am the first to say that Islam is a wicked religion: but they all are. And our great republic doesn't win by pretending that the arguments that work in theocracies apply here. Or by pretending that sentiments trump rights.

I am deeply disturbed by this rhetorical Jabberwocky. What do you think will happen when some Muslim Americans go to the completed Ground Zero Memorial, pull out their prayer rugs, and pray that the families of the victims have an iota of grief lifted off of them; and that Muslims around the world will unite against those who would commit violence against our republic?

Now, we all know what will happen: they will likely be castigated and harassed, if not beaten and kicked and spit upon.

We are better than that, and I won't have it any other way.

I'll defer to another Alabama graduate:



Roll Tide Joe! Were the Republican Party as decent, and thoughtful, and principled, and grown up as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment