9.16.2009

I Take It Back

Maybe I wished that Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown was just a quasi-science fiction album and not a prophesy. With what's going on in this country now, the opus was the latter.

So, I change my review of Green Day's last album: 21st Century Breakdown is the best punk album of this decade.

If you've seen the evangelical Christian-driven racist protests fueled by Republican apologists/cynics, doesn't the following ring a bell?

I am a nation
a worker of pride
My debt to the status quo
The scars on my hands and a means to an end
It's all that I have to show

I swallowed my pride
and I choked on my Faith
I've given my heart and my soul
I've broken my fingers
And lied though my teeth
The pillar of damage control

I've been to the edge
And I've thrown the bouquet
Of flowers left over the grave
I sat in the waiting room
Wasting my time
And waiting for judgment day

Praise liberty
The freedom to obey
Is the song that strangles me
Well don't cross the line

Oooh dream, America dream
I can't even sleep
From the light's early dawn

Oooh scream, America scream
Believe what you see
From heroes and cons?!
Or, to quote my favorite radio liberal talk show: we have become a nation of "angry asshats."

I want to leave now...

No comments:

Post a Comment