8.08.2009

Movie Review: Julie and Julia

Meryl Streep As Julia Child: Patron Goddess Of The Foodie

I saw Julie and Julia today, and--all chick-flick moments aside--it is fucking hilarious. As anyone could tell by the trailers, Meryl Streep does a dead-on Julia Child: her portrayal is worth twice the price of admission. And while the cheap jokes are funny, it's the numerous sly ones that make the film truly priceless. And they do bring up the spy business...

If you love Julia, as all should, go see it. If not, fuck you. Even the sturdiest of manly men can appreciate the Julia half of the film. And only half of the other half is a proper time to go pee; a goodly portion of the Julie part is actually slightly endearing, bordering on interesting.

"She taught me how to cook." So say we all.

Note: to any who might go to an afternoon matinée of this movie, expect to hear the movie over several respirators. When I returned from my pre-trailer pee, I noted to my mother: "This place smells like prunes and osteoporosis." Seriously, I was worried that many women in the audience might crack a rib laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment