7.21.2008

Movie Review: Hellboy 2


To call Hellboy 2 visionary and beautiful would be unnecessary, but I'll say it anyway. In addition, the film has a lot of heart (like its predecessor) and some great, great humor. I laughed so hard I cried at one scene (two words: Barry Manilow). While not a masterpiece, it is a thoroughly delightful and engaging fairy tale. The actors and director should be thanked for some brave, touching performances. And as always, del Toro = amazing creatures. Not just farcical CGI caricatures, like that hack Lucas, but visceral, imaginative, jaw-dropping, sympathetic creatures.

In addition, the underlying message of nerd pride/geek pride/gay pride/outcast pride hit my g-spot. The message: we will defend the masses out of conscience; but that conscience only goes so far as our love for our true identities and our love for our brethren will take us. The movie explores the length of our empathetic chain to those who don't understand, nor wish to tolerate, our differences.

The film has no stinger, as I had read, so don't stay until the end unless you like watching 10 minutes of Spanish names fly in front of your face.

Finally, the addition of the dive-suited ethereal Johann Krauss character, voiced by Seth MacFarlane, was brilliance. His Colonel Klink-esque accent and slowly developed character depth (which should make any future sequel...interesting) helped make the movie.

"You can suck my ectoplasmic Schwanzstücke!"

1 comment:

  1. I really want to see this, as I posted on RB's L-C months ago when I saw the first trailer. You're the second person I know who's seen it and really liked it. I've only seen Ironman so far this summer, but this week maybe...

    ReplyDelete