2.23.2008

I Hated Science Fairs


In my mid-pubescence, science fairs were inflicted on us to test some parents' willingness to get involved in a science fair. For the life of me, that seemed to be the only point of the damn things. It was a beauty pageant for ugly kids ' parents, and whatever I did was uninspired since their outcome (other than for participating) didn't affect me at all. Plus, I was WAY more interested in the REAL science done by REAL scientists (at that age, that was Spock and Carl Sagan, but who the fuck cares). Space was cool, and you can't do proper anti-gravity vacuum experiments on a middle-school gym floor. So I blew the things off.

Anyway, this link shows how science fair projects can go horribly, horribly awry. But really, don't they all? Except for that kid in Real Genius: he got Val Kilmer, space lasers, and lots of popcorn out of his.

Ed. Ad.: It could have been worse: I could have been home schooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment