2.24.2010

I Have Problems With This

I'm not as negative on Mies Van Der Rohe as one might expect a Frank Lloyd Wright fan to be. I've marveled at his Seagram's building in New York City (it is more stunning than one would ever expect) and at several of his buildings in Chicago (which are legion). I don't agree with his style; but I do respect his anti-"everything built before WW2" ideals of clean lines, modern craftsmanship, and natural light. And he was a visionary who changed our skylines.

I loved watching this BBC documentary on Mies, but I disagreed with many of the narrator's points. I'll save my opinions, some of which might surprise my friends. Watch all 7 parts and please post your opinions: I think the man and his work warrant some discussion and debate. If you need more encouragement, the whole thing is too well-filmed not to watch and be mesmerized by pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment